Friday 17 May 2013

Spring Salmon on the Lee

Last night the Bandon rose, was falling this morning but was on the way up again by late morning. A quick cast this afternoon confirmed it would be an uphill struggle, with the water visibility 6 inches to a foot at best. It's been quite lately on the salmon and sea trout front, some are running and I saw a salmon jumping the weir this afternoon. These latest floods fining down with the impending blast of warm air will see sport pick up.
So with the Bandon out of order my attention turned to the Lee. I have been meaning to fish it this spring but have just not got around to it so this evening I thought no time like the present! Passing over the bridge in Ballincollig on the way to the petrol station to get my permit I could see that the river was bowling down. I wasn't deterred by this though, at least I knew fish would be there and anything that was in the river would be headed up towards the dam.


Arriving at the dam  the water was huge, creating a massive back eddy on my side of the river. In this type of water it's hard to keep in contact with your lure at times but it's imperative you try to keep in contact with your lure as much as you can otherwise you'll end up snagging the bottom, your will lure not work properly or worse of all you'll miss a take. Working my way down, I spun using a size 4 flying c in various colour and blade combinations. For the first hour or so the place was quite enough until I noticed a splash a few yards down the river. Working my way down I saw another one so it was obvious a few fish were coming in. It was overcast now and with the colour in the water I put up a black and copper flying c. Casting upwards and bringing the lure through the back eddy the line stopped. Lifting the rod I met resistance and the line screaming off, I was into my first fish of the year. Like the strong swirl of the river, the salmon was surging around in circles. Twice he threatened to go down river but luckily before he got anywhere I managed to turn him. Now the the realisation struck me, I forgot the net! Ah well I don't usually have it with me but in a new place like this it would have been very handy. Tiring the fish out a bit more I eventually got him in close and tailed him. Relief!


Over the moon is an understatement, at last I caught a springer! I've never had enough time to put in the effort due to school, college, work, travelling etc etc but this year I've put in a decent effort and its nice to have the effort pay off. I thought the fish was 9 or 10lbs weight but the scales back home read just over 12, good, broad fish. I fished on for another couple of hours to no avail. No one else caught anything either, but I did have the pleasure of meeting Paul Hanley. He missed 2 and caught a pike also. His knowledge of the river and the Inniscarra stretch is encyclopedic, he knows every inch of it. He has been having a good season so far and you can read his blog here. 
Back broken now, if the water drops the fly rod will be out, 13 days left to get a springer on the fly rod!



No comments:

Post a Comment