Monday 6 May 2013

Argideen Silver

Having fished fruitlessly for bass yesterday on very weak tides I decided to just have a drive around looking for marks to fish when the tides get better. The mild weather has got the bass going a bit again and with just over a week left to fish for them until the ban is in its worth making the effort to catch while you can!
Pondering wheter I would have another cast somewhere on the dropping tide I thought to myself maybe a look at the Argideen river could be worthwhile. Walking some of the banks familiarising myself with some of the pools I spotted a few trout and that was my evening planned!
Home to get the fly rod, rig up and out again to get my permit at Inchy Bridge from Argideen Anglers Association. I fished here years ago with the worm during the day but night time on the fly would be a totally different kettle of fish. I would have to recommend having a walk along the banks here during the day if you are intending on going out at night time. Its safer and it is going to save an you an awful lot of hassle with getting flies stuck in trees and the likes.
After much talk of fishing up at the bridge first cast was at 10.30. I chose a small size 10 fly with a weighted body fished off a long leader and floating line to start off with. A few plucks from small trout coming down the pool until I got to the tail and BANG. Line screaming, water erupting and all in the pitch black, you just can't beat fly fishing at night for sea trout. Playing the trout hard it still took the best part of 5 minutes to draw it to the bank, a 2lb sea liced bar of silver.


I took a quick photo and brought it back into the water and held it for while so it could regain its energy. A flick of the tail and away she went. The Argideen is C&R this year with single barbless hooks, no worms allowed. I fished on for another couple of hours changing tactics but to no avail, just missing one more trout and a few more half hearted plucks. Starting earlier in the night could have yielded better results, especially at this time of year as although the weather is milder you still wouldn't call it balmy...not a single trout rose all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment