Sunday 9 September 2012

Down on the Laune

Wednesday and Thursday last I was down in Killarney, Co. Kerry. On Wednesday I went to see Torc Waterfall and Muckross lake, some spot especially with the weather we had!


 

 

Thursday was the day for business though so the gear was prepared and it was off down to Beaufort bridge to fish Beat 3 of Laune Salmon and Trout Anglers Association. First of all, what a place to cast a fly. The water was absolutely savage and for where I fished there was very little water that I walked passed writing off as useless.
Starting off at the bridge I tackled up using my multi tip spey line to which I attached an intermediate tip, a short leader of a few feet and a silver bodied orange Ally's Shrimp size 10 treble. Fishing the bridge all I had was plucks from a few trout down at the tail. From here I fished my way down to the corner covering every likely looking spot to no avail.
By now the absence of fish was evident so with the possibility of fish travelling keeping their heads low and resident fish low also I changed over to an S1/S2 tip but stuck to the same fly as it looked the job in the slightly coloured water.


 
 


I must have walked a good deal of the water avilable to me but try as I might I couldn't winkle one out. I did meet one other fisherman who said he turned 2 fish using a spinner but they weren't interested in the fly and I didn't see any other fish. Looking back the conditions were probably a little against me as you can see above it was clear blue skies and bright sunshine giving me a fine red nose! Not seeing any fish was disappointing also. Reading reports there aren't that many being caught at the moment. A fish was caught on Thursday evening on beat 3 by a local, which goes to show how invaluable local knowledge is. 3 and a half hours of solid fishing with nothing to show for it but what a pleasure it was to fish such nice water in jaw dropping surroundings. The piece I fished was a credit to Laune Anglers with very well kept banks and footbridges put into good use for trekking the more boggy areas. The Laune and the Kerry salmon won this battle but I'll be back next season for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment