Tuesday 10 June 2014

Good Sport on a Dropping Flood

For the past couple of weeks fishing has been slow due to low water levels on the river. Salmon were present in good numbers but proved very hard to entice, with just a few fish falling mainly to the shrimp. Some sea trout were entering the system and I enjoyed a couple of nights out but unfortunately I brought nothing to hand. The best sea trout I hooked was pushing 2lbs but it just wouldn't stop jumping and eventually shook off my size 8 Stoat's Tail.


The Bandon took a turn for the better though on Friday with water levels rising rapidly which is exactly what it needed. Saturday saw the river bowling down and spinning was the order of the day for me due to the height, speed and colour of the water. I ventured out in the evening, trying to give the river a chance to drop, and was rewarded with a beautiful fish of 11.5lbs.


On Sunday the river was in fine fettle and acceptable for all methods. On my way down the river I had a quick chuck with a Flying C and 3rd cast I had a follow from a fish which gave the bait one quick rattle and was gone again. A few more casts yielded no more interest but the evening looked promising. The next pool down was perfect for the fly so I stuck with my intermediate tip and tied on a gold bodied Willie Gunn which served me well during the last flood. Just as I was coming down to the sweet spot I saw some people walking in the field across the way and I was thinking how great it would be if I hooked a fish in front of them. Next cast and... the strollers were stopped in their tracks!! 15 minutes later and I had a sea liced bar of silver for them to admire which I estimated to be around 8lbs before I gently slipped her back.


All in all from talking to other fishermen the general consensus is that there was a good run of fish going through. I heard of only one grilse caught with most fish weighing between 8-14lbs. With the river settling down now lets see what the week ahead brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment